This buggy was bought by Mr. George Dowdell in the 1920's from Brownfield Hardware Company in Opelika. The price was approximately $50.00 and payments were S1.00 a month. Mr. George Dowdell lived on the John T. Harris farm north of Opelika, until he died in the 1950's. His widow, Mrs. ­Gertrude Dowdell gave the buggy to John T. Harris.


It was kept in a barn for forty years until it found a resting place at the Museum of
East Alabama in 1989. In 1900, a Mr. W. M. Pullian advertised in The Opelika Industrial News as Pullian Buggy Company- By 191. the business was advertised as Pullian and Brownfield - Harness and Horse Goods. Mr. Pullian had taken in a partner, his son-in-law, B.E- Brownfield. ­Later Brownfield Hardware Companyopened on 8th Street in Opelika and operated there until the early 1930's.