Opelika was one of the location of 500 enemy prisoner of war camps in the United States. Construction on Camp Opelika began in September of 1942. In January of 1943, the U.S. Army staffed the camp with approximately 500 military police serving as guards. The first prisoners were apart of General Erwin Rommel’s Africa corp. The camp population was maintained at 3,000 until the end of the war. In September of 1945, the camp was deactivated and deeded to the city of Opelika. After a brief period when the quarters were used for veterans housing, the campsite became an industrial park.

Our museum is the only repository for artifacts relating to Camp Opelika, a World War II era POW camp.

Within our Camp Opelika exhibit, we feature distinctive arts and crafts made by German prisoners from the scrap materials made available to the prisioners..